Thursday, May 8, 2008

Wrapping things up-- ongoing process

It just hit me yesterday that I'm leaving in two weeks. For so long it felt like forever away, but now-- it feels so real. I put my bike on consignment at the shop today, I'm bringing home boxes later. I'm planning my going away party, making dates to see people one last time before I leave.

this is the part that feels a little scary.

in some ways i feel like i'm leaving so many things that i'm just getting to know-- i have met some very cool people in the last few months and am sad to be leaving them so soon. like i told someone earlier, its a shame that we met when we did, and not a year or two ago when i could have really used it. the good thing, though, is that internet and phones will keep us close until a plane can make it back and forth.

i got an invite for an interview at my dream school this week. its an art and music high school looking for a science teacher. the school itself is in a warehouse-y area of brooklyn and has complete recording studios, art studios, dance studios... all my favorite things! all of the arts teachers are professionals and the core subject teachers are regular NY public schools faculty, so the environment seems like it would be a great mix of folk. being able to entertain both my academic and artistic sides would be a dream.

i am conceptualizing a science lesson involving waves and wave technology to incorporate music and sound into science. cross your fingers that i pull it off!

2 comments:

Justin said...

I'm pretty sure this school was built for you! There's all sorts of chemistry in art (oil vs watercolors, clay in the kilns, how charcoal forms). Sounds awesome. Good luck with the interview! I'm excited for you! Love you.

monkeypoint said...

Fly little bird. You're going to shine in the NYC.