Monday, May 26, 2008

It's Just like RENT, except I'm the only one singing and I'm not sick...

...or addicted to drugs, other than caffeine. Still, its a lot like RENT.

I am broke and currently underemployed. I spend my days walking, because that doesn't cost me anything except calories, and people watching. At night, I spend a significant portion of my daily budget on beer, trying to make friends.

There was an entire story in the NYTimes about people like me this weekend and it tipped me off to a great site called www.myopenbar.com where it lists events all over the city where you don't have to pay to drink. Dreamy!

Tonight I am riding my bike up to Park Slope to Bar BQ, which reports to have the best 'cue in Brooklyn. Not that it matters to me because I'm vegetarian, but just so you know.
It is also boasting free "Rebel Yell Bourbon" drinks from 7-9pm and $2 draft beers, along with live blues music. I don't have anyone to go with but I hope that some other broke hipsters from Brooklyn will be joining me. If not, I'll buy one beer, take my free shot, and come back home and blog about it. A good $2 experiment.

Other things I have learned about living cheaply: If you go into a coffee shop and they have day-olds, politely ask what kind they are, as if you're just curious. 50-50 chance they'll give it to you free.
Today I scored a raisin scone from Flying Saucer (where I also got a job offer, but more on that later). I brought it home and tried an experiment in lunch-time. I crumbled the dry scone into a bowl, added a sliced banana and some cheap soymilk from the nearby asian market and voila! Cheapo bread budding. Kind of. But it was pretty good. Glad I asked about the raisin scone though and not the corn muffin, because that would have been awful.

More, post Bar BQ

1 comment:

Alison said...

I've been thinking lately, hmm, I wonder how Bennett's doing... and then it occured to me today - check the blog! Sounds like you're having a great time wandering your neighborhood and meeting random people. I'll look forward to keeping up with your life via blog for the time being - woo east coast!