Sunday, May 25, 2008

Out and About

Everyone I know that lives here left town for the weekend, so I've had to entertain myself for a while.

I went to Aneal's school for a visit on Friday and hope to go back for an interview soon. Her coworkers are all really nice and seem to like me, which is always good. I get along with the students as well and most of them seemed happy to have me there.

I have interviews on Wednesday and Thursday of this week as well, one at the Urban Assembly of Music and Art (possible dream school) and one at the Urban Assembly of Arts and Letters.

On Friday night I biked to Park Slope to the Cattyshack, one of two lesbian bars in that neighborhood. The closest scene that I can relate it to is like the lesbian version of R Place in Seattle. Multiple stories, dancing, bars, pool table. According to the staff it was a slow night due to the holiday weekend (apparently everyone leaves town on a three day), but there were a decent number of people there. I met a Swedish model that looks like Scarlett Johansen, but with short hair (read: hot) and some nice girls from Jersey that bought me beer. Oh, and the upstairs bouncer grew up in Dallas and knows where White Settlement is. Small world.

Saturday I wandered more around Brooklyn and walked a ton. I stopped into my new favorite coffee shop, the Flying Saucer, and visited with the staff there, most of whom I'd met on Thursday. Today I walked by again and they joked about me just needing to get a job there. Gave my number to a guy named Robert who seems cool. Maybe we'll hang sometime.

Saturday night I went to an event called GirlNation at a bar near Times Square called Nation. Again with the story about thin crowds. This crowd, while younger and more well-groomed than most at Cattyshack was definitely harder to get into. I only really talked to the girl walking around selling jello shots. I left around 12:30 and wandered Times Square, marveling at how all the neon and billboard light makes it seem like daytime, at night.

Today I went into the East Village to a farmers market and talked to Andrew, the Bee Dude, about working for him in my free time this summer, selling honey. I sat in at the booth for a while and handled it well. We're going to check in re: my schedule and his and see if there is any time I can squeeze out to sell some sweet stuff. $10/hr under the table ain't bad.

On my way home I stopped by Ginger's, the other lesbian bar in Park Slope, to see what the scene is like. This bar is pretty similar to the Rose-- good happy hour and sports playing, mostly older crowd, which I think is par unless there is some special event happening. The staff were nice though and I could see it being a chill place to go.

Possibly I think some of the problem is that there are so many things to do and so many places to go that it's hard to pin down any one crowd.

Tomorrow I might try back at the open mic night at Cattyshack. Or stop by the Park Slope Food Co-op, which is where Aneal meets girls.

Anyhow. Off to my first early to bed night. Have to run tomorrow morning.

No comments: