Monday, April 21, 2008

"leave the gun, take the cannoli"

a line from a movie that lies dear to my heart.. no, not the godfather, though that is the original film. yes, indeed, i'm quoting "you've got mail", perhaps one of my favorite movies from when i was in middle school. i owe it partly to a crush on meg ryan in that film, partly to the romanticized view of new york, which brings me to my current dilemma--
what do i take with me?

some things i need to leave behind, like my futon mattress (now permanent brett/molly guest bed) and my snowboard. other things i could possibly sell or possibly take, like my acoustic guitar and my road bike.

the guitar is a cheapo but somehow i think that sans piano i will definitely need some way to express myself musically once there. i toyed with the idea of selling it rather than shipping (how do you ship a guitar in a hard case? will it cost more than its worth?) and just getting another one there. i'm sure there is a pawn shop somewhere i can find a cheap acoustic. thoughts anyone?

the other big dilemma is my road bike. its too nice to ride as a commuter in NYC unless i never leave it out side, which means i will probably have it for weekend riding only. will i have time? should i just take the money? should i take it with me and sell it there if i can't use it/need the cash? taking it on the plane won't be too hard, i don't think, but its still kind of a hassle and counts as a checked bag.

meredith says that i should use my heart, not my head to decide what to bring, what will make me happy. while i think she's right, i also need to think realistically about liquidating my assets.

tomorrow i have to take care of a bunch of logistical odds and ends for the program, and get a study guide so i can prepare for my nyctf tests. everything is happening so fast!

1 comment:

Justin said...

I'm with Meredith. You're not prone to packing away too many unnecessary items, so be sure to keep with you what you'll need to be happy. You'll want a few things of sentimental value. If that means your old guitar, then take it. If it's just something you picked up at a pawn shop in Seattle, and you think it could be easily replaced, then do that. It'd certainly be less expensive than shipping. Same goes for your bike... And for smaller items you can do the whole "have I used this in the last 3 months?" test. You know what to do if the answer is no.

BTW, I really enjoyed watching your music videos. It felt like you were here in my living room. I told Darrah I wish I had a talent of some sort and a little less camera shyness so I, too, could post videos. Wanna hear This Little Light of Mine on the trombone? lol

Love you!