Monday, April 28, 2008

Jobs!

I spent several hours combing through job postings online last Thursday and it seems to have paid off! One school would like to phone interview me this week and another is inviting me to a new hire open house shortly after I arrive in NYC. Exciting!

One school is a small 9-12 high school aimed at taking kids who want to go to college, regardless of past academic performance, and preparing them to do so. They have AVID classes, like I taught in Austin, and from the school profile online, seem to be an environment that I would enjoy.

The other school is a community high school for students who have previously exited the school system, but have decided to finish, or who have fallen behind due to absences. While I can tell that this is a tougher environment than the other school, it is also more intimate and supported by a community organization that aids teachers and staff in keeping the students on track. Both schools sound intriguing, but I kind of like the idea of working with kids that have chosen to give school another try. We'll see how the phone interview goes.

Also making slight progress on the housing front-- a few options in South Brooklyn, one of them three blocks away from the community high school. That would just be so convenient.

Keep your fingers crossed. 23 days!

No comments: