Saturday, September 27, 2008

that old familiar feeling...

the itching feeling inside my ears, the hot flashes, the tickly throat--
i am getting sick.

after a particularly hard thursday and friday, its no wonder that now my body chooses to get ill-- my defenses are completely worn down at this point. since the beginning of school i have done a great job of holding everything together, but the end of this week was totally exhausting.

thursday marked what was probably my worst day at school-- a fire drill during my 2nd period class set my lesson plans off-kilter, then my 10th graders (read: evil children) locked me in my classroom. actually, it is someone else's classroom, but they stole the door handle off the inside of the door as they came in to class. this left the handful of tardy students locked out from the outside, and left me and the rest of the class locked inside. after trying to get them to give up the handle, i told them that it was the stupidest thing they could do to lock themselves in the room with me, because not only was no one going out the window (we're on the 7th floor), but they were now stuck in a room with a very pissed off teacher.

after about five minutes, the handle came skittering across the floor and i let the rest of my class in. we got nothing done that period.

then, the period directly following, i returned to my own classroom to teach what is my largest 11th grade class. there were a few students from the previous class lingering in the room and about 10 of my students settling in when my door jams. i have been after maintenence to fix it for two weeks now, as its been getting progressively harder to open, lock, etc, but this time it just stuck. no one could open it from either side and chaos ensued. the kids in class didn't want me to let the loud kids in the hall in ("Miss, this will be the quietest this class has ever been!") and the kids in the hall were shouting as if they'd been intentionally locked out ("We have to bust the door in! Tamika, let's use your head!"). I tried calling the office from my cell (no answer) and it took 20 minutes for maintenence to show up to start dismantling the door handle completely. in the melee, half of the kids locked out just decided to leave. once we finally got the door open, again, we got nothing done.

fabulous.

i think i might be the only teacher in history to get locked in their own classroom twice in one day.

friday was rough too, more so for personal reasons than school reasons, though i had the evil 10th graders again. they made me crazy-- in the middle of class they decided to stage an impromtu dance party, knocking over desks and chairs and making a dance circle. i just watched.

these kids are hard to deal with-- they're the bad group of the 10th grade and they have no respect for anyone. i have to constantly watch them or they'll steal things (and i always teach them in other people's classrooms), they write on anything they can get their hands on, and they're constantly yelling at each other.

they're also very homophobic, which is great. if i had a dollar for every time they called someone or something else gay, i could retire.
yikes.

i am in the process of figuring out how i am going to deal with them next week.

its saturday, i'm exhausted, and getting sick. thank god for rosh hashanah this week.

1 comment:

Justin said...

This reminds me of the time Dwayne Metz and I got locked in a practice room in the band hall one morning after marching. When the janitor finally got there, he said slowly, loudly and with his jaws opening so widely they were nearly coming unhinged (as if talking to a handicapped child) "try to turn the door handle". Sadly, despite his presence, that trick still did not work. After 20 minutes or so he was able to unjail us, and went tardy to our respective classes (geometry for me) with a laughable excuse.