Thursday, October 16, 2008

the mason dixon line

within the first five minutes of 3rd period, i knew it was going to be hard. two of my 10th graders came into my science room, plugged up the back sinks, and then turned the water on full blast and ran out of the room. when i noticed the floating garbage in the sink and the pounding water i realized what had happened.

then within the first 10 minutes the same two 10th graders came back into class (they should have been at lunch) and burst into the room, yelling and swearing at a handful of my 11th grade boys. i managed to kick them out and lock the door from the outside so they wouldn't bust in again.

ten minutes later, i was just starting to lecture when the door opened. someone from my class opened it from the inside (it was locked) and not two, but seven of my 10th graders rush into the room and begin fighting with my 11th grade boys. all in all it was 12-15 boys rioting in my room. desks pushed, chairs flipped, on the counters, on the floor, punching, shoving, shouting.

it took four teachers and two deans to get them to calm down. the offending 10th graders immediately tried to run off, as if no one would notice, while i lost it in the hall.

my adrenaline was on high speed and it was hard for me to not try to get more in the fight to bust it up. like a protective mother i wanted to keep people form hurting my kids, except they were all my students. i might have been hit in the melee, i'm not sure. my whole body is sore and i am exhausted.

in fact, i'm going to take another nap. i'm dead.

No comments: