Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A week and a few days

Looking back on my first full week, plus a few days, has been a great tool thus far. My first week went better than I had expected, in retrospect. I was prepared for the worst and for the most part have been pretty lucky with the students I have and the great faculty I work with. My surprise of the year came when I found out that in addition to my 16 periods of earth science, that I would also be teaching 3 periods a week of “literacy support” to 10th graders. Essentially, my school is trying to prepare the 10th graders for the litany of Regents tests they’ll have this year as best they can, and for some reason they think having an 11th grade science teacher working with them three hours a week is going to help. Fortunately for them I was a liberal arts major in college, not a science geek, and have a pretty healthy amount of opinions and tactics at hand to help get kids more involved with reading and writing. They have been by far my most challenging group—I think there was something wrong with the water the year they were born because the 10th grade class at everyone’s school seems to be the worst. Still, no one is threatening to pee on my desk, which means I’m better off than some.
Looking forward to next week and the week after, as I am getting exponentially more comfortable with this as time goes on.

No comments: