Saturday, January 3, 2009

almost halfway done with my first year...

taking some time to reflect on my first 4 months of teaching, now that i'm two days away from school starting back after xmas break, thinking about my experiences thus far.

i definitely love teaching and for the most part, i love my students, but part of it seems, as ruth would say, a little too "downstream" for me. the analogy there is something to the affect of if you were downstream of a powerful river and you noticed that people were systematically needing to be rescued from drowning because of a weak spot in a bridge upstream, would you stay there and fish each one of them out, or would you move upstream and fix the bridge?

after a dream i had the other night in which i went to law school, i checked my status with the Law School Admissions Council (the LSAC) and was delighted to see that my membership (and LSAT scores) does not expire until October 2009. this got me thinking on a whole train of thought that led me to the idea that i could apply for fall of 2010, just before my scores, etc, expire, and try to get into law school. many years after the first go around, i have come back to the idea that i might be able to help serve, and save, more people if i work more upstream. i think that my work in politics, activism, and now education, have pointed me in the direction of the public service area of law. i will complete my master's degree by the spring of 2010 and would be ready to enter law school after that.

also, i miss seattle very much. i am so looking forward to my visit in february!
i am realizing that while brooklyn (and NYC) are great, with lots to offer, i need more in my life to feel balanced and happy. i need to be around more scenery. i need to be closer to the great outdoors (the very indoor-oriented texan in me can't believe this, trust me), more dependent on a bike and less on a train, able to play rugby, buy groceries at a big store, be around people that appreciate the greatness of family pizza night.

i was looking into the UW law school and i think that my admission packet could get me in-- lsat is in the accepted range, gpa is good, plus will have a master's degree and some service experience behind me. UW also has a fellowship in public service law that, if you're accepted, will pay for all your school and a few internships in exchange for 5 years public service work post school. i think that sounds great and i know a friend-of-a-friend who is on the board that accepts people into the fellowship. :)

right now, i just wish i were writing this entry from the Fuel on 45th st.

miss you all!

No comments: