Friday, July 4, 2008

Aquarius: the Water Bearer

Jac is an Aquarius, the first one that I've ever really had in my life, at least to my knowledge. I seem to have a lot of friends that are water signs, though, with an inordinate number of Pisceans in my circle of friends, but the Aquarius was a new one for me.

According to astrology.com (not that I ever really read that stuff, ahem), the Aquarius/Libra couple are a good match. Always good to hear. The real funny part, though, is how true the water-bearing quality is where Jac is concerned.

On Saturday, at about 11pm, we were leaving her house to meet Ruth, Aneal, and Meredith at a bar in Park Slope called Union Hall. It is a slightly hipster bar that feels like a library inside, with indoor bocce ball courts. I have kind of joined Aneal's Monday night bocce team, which is awesome. But I digress..

We were leaving Jac's house in Bed-Stuy (home of the Notorious BIG), about to get on the train, when a pack of 10 year olds come running down the sidewalk toward us. I think there were only like five of them, but it seemed like more. One runs in front of the others yelling "miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss!" It took me a minute to realize he was trying to get our attention. When he got closer he said "Yo miss, can you give me a dollar?" At first I was just surprised that a kid would come up to me and just ask me for money, when he didn't really need it. Usually people at least pretend to need bus fare or something, but he just straight up asked for a dollar. I told him I didn't have any cash, which was true, and Jac and I turned back around and began walking down the subway steps. Next thing I know I am pelted in the back of the head by an open water bottle, which splashes me all over my backside.

Nice.

Not five days later, Jac and I are walking again to the train, this time in broad daylight, near a park in Clinton Hill. Out of nowhere (literally, we didn't see where they came from) some punk kids sneaked up from behind and nailed her square in the back with a water balloon! Luckily for her they threw it too hard and it didn't pop, but just bounced off. Still, what punks!

I am going to start wearing my rain coat whenever we hang out. Or at least bring a dry change of clothes.

No comments: