Sunday, June 1, 2008

Life in general, updates...

Yesterday I took the LAST, the Liberal Arts and Sciences Test, which is required for all teachers in NY. The overachiever in me made me borrow a test prep book from Meredith, but after completing two practice tests and missing only three questions out of 80, I realized I was overreacting a little.

Is it weird that I kind of enjoy taking tests? I'm sure it is.

Anyway, the testing site was this high school in Far Rockaway (yes, like Rockaway from the the song "Lean Back") and was in the projects. It was my first exposure to high-rise project housing and total urban decay and despair. Scary. Once I got to the school, I immediately found like the one other homo there and we exchanged glances but didn't talk.

The test was easy and I was the first one done in my testing room, then I immediately hopped back on the train and made the three connections back to my house.

I ended up going to the Cattyshack and was approached by none other than the girl from the test-- Sarah. She's friends with rugby girls, she's a teacher, she's way cool and she has a girlfriend. She would make a great buddy though and I look forward to hanging out with her more.

Today I had my first full shift at the farmer's market and was slightly hungover for the train ride into Manhattan, but it was great. The people at the farmer's market were really cool nice. Andrew is a little bit to deal with sometimes, as he's quite neurotic, but he charms the bees and the customers. We worked well together and he left for a significant part of the day and I was running the show. It was pretty seamless and we sold a lot of honey.

I had the pleasure of meeting and selling honey to two different people today:
Piper Perabo and Sam Rockwell!
Piper was very nice and cute and has a new short haircut.
Sam was very nice and we talked about Matchstick Men a bunch, then he bought some honey and some bee pollen, for his seasonal allergies.

Then I took the money I made today and bought myself a vegan sandwich, as I haven't had money for any significant meal for a week. It was lovely. Good day.

Tomorrow is my first day of school/training. I know nothing except I need to be there at 9am with a notebook and a pen. Updates will follow once I know what the hell is going on.

No comments: